Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Channeling my inner Bob Ross

I love me a brand new notebook - fresh pages, so much possibility... It's a bit of a love/hate relationship really... on the first day of class I would open my new notebook, swoon over its perfect, crisp, non-dented pages, and then have to pick up my pen and taint it with notes (normally about a topic that I really didn't care too much about...).

I feel the same way about those canvases that you can buy from Michaels Crafts. They come pre-stretched over a wooden frame in a bunch of different sizes and in my mind hold so much potential; but then I pick up the paint brush and with that first completely non-artistic stroke it's all over. I think I enjoy brainstorming what I want to do with the canvas more than actually painting on it...

However, I have seen some pretty awe-inspiring DIY tutorials out there lately that use a canvas and paint and, never being one to shy away from a challenge, I wanted to give the whole painting thing another go*. 

*Of course we aren't talking about any Bob Ross style waterfall/forest/stream art here (LOVE Bob FYI)  - just something simple and graphic...

Here's my inspiration...

Fantastic Lyics! - Apartment Therapy (I think)
Kate Spade Ampersand Art and DIY tutorial here

All you need is love - at Etsy
Apartment Therapy
As soon as I saw the first picture I knew I needed to try it - the Lyrics are perfect and remind me of my summers working at the local mill in town (nothing beats art that's also an inside joke!). I really want to give that last inspirational picture a try - I love the colourful punch it gives to the room!

So I got my DIY on for the first two pictured above... It was more an experiment than anything else, to see if I could make something cute with just a brush and some paint. I needed a project to get me through these long winter months and to be honest, at the time I was facing a creative dry spell.

Here's what I came up with...
 
 

 I used left over paint from my master bedroom's feature wall for the Ampersand and I think it might stay in my bedroom once everything is sorted out. (I'll keep you posted).

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment