Friday, April 27, 2012

A Bit of Brilliance - Lace Trimmings

Every year it feels like I have less and less free time - where have the good old days gone of curling my hair for forty five minutes in the morning, talking at length with friends online, basking in the warm sun with a good book...?

Oh yes, those are the indulgences of someone who hasn't yet moved out of their parent's house, started working full time, and realized how difficult it can be to maintain a clean home (and some sort of trim waistline). Darn. 

Before the dividing of my free time into laundry time, workout time, cooking time, and bill paying time, I was able to browse my favorite blogs, soak up inspiration, and admire others' DIY efforts. If I was still able to do this regularly I think I'd admire their craftiness even more - who has time for projects these days? 

One such project I stumbled upon was an incredible lace stenciled floor. I immediately wanted to rip the carpet from the floor of my bedroom and start painting. Yes, I was still living at home and going to University, who else would have the time or energy to actually consider a project like this?

via Design*Sponge


I never did rip up the carpet, or stencil anything in a lace pattern, although the idea has stuck with me and I've grown a particular fondness for lace. However this 'aint your grandma's lace - delicate, crisp, feminine, I absolutely love it! It has incredible detail, texture, and the ability to camouflage unmaintained waistlines... I just can't get enough of the stuff.

I'm really excited to see lovely lace dresses and tops in stores this spring - side note, I LOVE dresses with sleeves!

via lovable pics
via fashion worship


I am envious of the mood this gentile lace curtain creates. Soft, intimate, clean - I wish my own house felt more like this sometimes.

via pretty spaces

Lace has always had a place at weddings - I'm crazy for delicate lace cap sleeves right now - so it's only appropriate that it'd found it's way onto wedding cakes too.

via intimate weddings

Accessories are a fun way to had a hint of lace without a major wardrobe overhaul. These shoes are fabulous.

via modcloth

via beauty bridal


Although the real world has caught up, it's not all bad. I get to make my own design choices in my own place now, and in the free time I still have, I get to collect all sorts of lovely ideas and put them here to share. Perhaps it's a good thing I don't have time to visit as many blogs. After all, it means I'm not solely inspired by others' ideas and am free to write about whatever I want!
What's your take on lace? Are you as smitten as I am or does it remind you of your grandmother's horrible window valences? 

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment