Sunday, November 18, 2012

Inspiring Burano

(via)

From afar the shop looks like another house on the tiny island of Burano – painted electric blue, offset by crisp white trim and green shutters – however the display cases out front catch my attention, immediately drawing me closer.  An elderly Italian woman greats me, as I hover over the first display case, intrigued by the beautiful jewellery inside. After the usual buongiorno, my lack of Italian fails and I simply nod and smile as she makes conversation, gesturing me into the shop. Unprepared for what awaits me inside, I move towards the entrance, longingly looking back at the display cases I haven’t fully explored.


(via)

Immediately my eyes catch glimpse of a seemingly endless row of small glass candy jars containing delicate glass beads in an array of sizes, shapes, and colours. After gathering myself together I notice more individual pieces of jewellery, like those in the display cases outside, flanking the entrance and set off to tediously make my way around the store, moving slowly to ensure I see everything on offer.  

(via)
 
(via)

Swirls of colour create gorgeous hand blown rings, petite gold foil earrings send a shimmer of sparkle across the room, and glass and felt beads effortlessly combine in stunning necklaces and bracelets. In addition to the jewellery, which is all handmade and one of a kind, Alla fiera dell'Est also sells individual beads and allows shoppers to design their own pieces. After wandering around the store for a while, making a couple loops and trying to narrow a growing list of favorites, I realize the task is impossible. Everything in the shop is lovely.


(via)

(via)

Easily the most beautiful store I have ever seen, I finally forced myself to walk out empty handed. Although difficult, we don’t have a lot of room in the budget to splurge on glass beads – even if they are insanely beautiful – and as all my craft supplies are boxed up it’s unlikely I’ll have a chance to make something anytime soon. Bead-less and moving onto Vienna, I’m left with only the dreams of soft felt, delicate glass, and glistening swirls of colour. However it seems the beads have a different idea, now that they’re haunting my sleep perhaps we have unfinished business…



*It may have been awhile since my last post however I’ve been keeping busy and hope to get back into crafting and blogging here in the New Year. Until then, you can always check in on me, and my travels, at Have Blog, Will Travel.

1 comment:

  1. Wow what a fantastic place...bead heaven! Great post and love the blog!

    ReplyDelete