Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bookworm

Summer is the perfect time for indulging - over eating beer and hotdogs, soaking in the sun until you burn, staying up until the sun starts to rise, and reading on the porch until the late afternoon. 

Over the last couple of summers I've burned through stacks of books. Last summer I spent my lunch breaks reading books like The Glass Castle and Eat, Prey, Love and the summer before I went for classics like The Great Gatsby and Grapes of Wrath. Once, during a night shift, I managed to read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in one night (and my job got done too!).

Although, in the past, I've relied on summer to make up for a year's worth of reading, I don't think that this will be the case in 2011. Unfortunately, work is too busy to squeeze in some reading at lunch and I've got a ton going on in the evenings (after all, I'm a blogger now!).But, I guess I'm a bit of an addict. Whatever comes up, I'll find some sort of way to get my reading fix...

I think I'm going to rely on the weekends to indulge, and plan to get out of town as soon as possible and off to the lake for some peace and quite. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're 35 minutes away from dishes and laundry. Here's what's topping my summer reading list:

The Lost Girls 
by Jennifer Baggett, Holly Corbett, and Amanda Pressner

After Eat.Prey.Love I got on a bit of a travel kick. The Lost Girls is about three ladies who abandon their jobs in New York to travel around the world for a year. I'm a few chapters in and love how I can almost live vicariously through the characters and their experiences.
The Beauty of Humanity Movement 
by Camilla Gibb

I am ashamed to admit that I got this book for Christmas and haven't had a chance to crack the cover yet. The story takes place in Vietnam, a place I've always wanted to visit. 


Bitter is the New Black 
by Jen Lancaster

A really lovely friend bought me this book a couple months back when I needed a pick me up. She said it would cheer me up and she was right. I'm only part way through but it's hard to put down (when I can find time to pick it up). My favorite part is the footnotes which add so much character. Plus, it is one of many so when I'm done I can move to the next!

Bossypants
by Tina Fey
I love, love, love Tina Fey! She is lovely, and funny, and smart, and witty which is very different than funny. I can't wait to read her book Bossypants. If it is one quarter as funny as 30Rock I'll be happy!





In Defense of Food
by Michael Pollan

My boyfriend normally reads all the science/biology books but he keeps telling me to read this one and I think I might just give in. I really like the idea of knowing what you are putting in your body and making smarter choices - even if I still indulge in Pineapple from across the globe once and a while...


 
Water for Elephants
by Sara Gruen 
Have I mentioned my little infatuation for Robert Pattinson? I know it isn't great when a movie turns you onto a book but in this case I purposefully missed the movie in order to read the book first*. Plus I love period pieces and this takes place during the depression.

*I actually have a friend who sees the movies first and then reads the books. She feels that this way it doesn't ruin the movie...



I know it's only six books but I'm trying not to set myself up for failure. Also, I know that my mom will pass along a few that I might be able to squeeze in.

Anyone out there have a hot tip on something fabulous I'm missing? What are you planning on reading this summer? Please share!

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment