Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Sweet and Easy Strawberry Tart


A big wedge of tart with a scoop of frozen yoghurt


Sometimes, in the chaos of the work week, dessert becomes a necessity. Hailing from a long line of dessert fans, both my grandfathers are guilty of overusing the phrase "one of each", dessert is always welcome, mid-week or not, however I often don't have the time to make something during the week, much to the relief of my waistline. 

However I may have just created something out of control, forever wreaking havoc on both the space time continuum and my favorite skinny jeans. As though I could accomplish two things at once, dessert accompanied dinner tonight, without any juggling of my schedule, with this super easy, incredibly fast, and wonderfully fresh tasting Strawberry Tart.

And yes, I watched Fringe on FOX and now think I fully understand the field of Physics including the theories of time travel.

This tart is not only fast and simple to make, it also requires only three ingredients - puff pastry, strawberries, and sugar - and, after realizing how amazing it is, I plan to keep puff pastry in my freezer on an ongoing basis, meaning I can easily whip this tart up whenever I want, using whatever fruit I have on hand (peach raspberry first popped to mind but there are plenty of options). 


Looks tasty doesn't it?



To make your very own Strawberry Tart simply...

1. Lay one piece of the pastry out on a buttered baking tray and set your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Wash your strawberries and slice, about a cup and a half, then arrange on the pastry leaving a half inch border. Sprinkle with one teaspoon of sugar.

3. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the berries are tender and their juices begin to seep out 

4. Cool and top with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream or frozen yoghurt (our personal favorite)


The tart, fresh from the oven


Recipe Synopsis: 
Taste: Fresh and not too sweet, the berry taste comes through and works well with the whipped or ice cream.
Texture:  Juicy berries and light, fluffy pastry
Wow Factor: The prettiest dessert I've ever assembled in five minutes
Difficulty: Wonderfully easy 
Serve With: Whipped or ice cream, it's wonderfully light making it perfect for hot summer days

I actually found this recipe a year ago and somehow my plans to make it have continuously been delayed. You can find the original version at PopSugar

Note: my berries didn't let off as much juice as those in the original photo, so on my second attempt I let them sit with some sugar in a bowl after being sliced, then poured the juices over the arranged slices before popping it in the oven. 

Yes, I made two - when the puff pastry comes in two packs what's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment