Monday, April 29, 2013

Cranberry Scones for Breakfast

I fell back on an oldie but a goodie this morning, as I whipped up a batch of Cranberry Scones to accompany my morning tea. 



I return to this recipe time and time again, as these scones always turn out wonderfully, however this morning when I decided to make some on a whim I realized I didn't have any half and half - it's not something I normally keep in the house. Before panicking, I decided to substitute yoghurt for the cream, however upon opening my container of Greek yoghurt I realized it had gone bad. 

It must be Monday morning. 

Unwilling to abandon my desire for fresh Cranberry scones I turned to the internet, and although the options were lacking, I decided to chance the recipe using some some sour cream. 

Luckily the scones turned out as wonderful as always, and now that I know they can be so delicious without half and half I am unlikely to go back - it will be only healthier Greek yoghurt or sour cream moving forward!

The scones, heading into the oven


Fresh and juicy from the oven and ready to be devoured

I've shared the recipe before, in it's original context, (adapted from Martha Stewart), however here is my revised recipe using sour cream...

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter
2/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
2/3 cup frozen cranberries


Process:
Combine the dry ingredients and then cut in the chilled butter using a pastry blender. Add the sour cream and milk and stir to combine. Add the frozen cranberries. You may want to use your hands at this point as it can be hard to get the dough to form a ball, however be careful not to overwork the dough as it will make your scones tough. As these scones are quite rustic, don't worry about making every little bit of flour come together. Move the dough onto the counter and work into a disc shape, about 1/2 and inch thick - again these are meant to be rustic. Slice into wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown. Let cool slightly before consuming. 


Recipe Synopsis: 
Taste: The scone is light, not too sweet, and the cranberries add a lovely juicy tartness.
Texture: Flaky pastry and plump juicy cranberries.  
Wow Factor: Although intended to look rustic, the scones are still quite lovely and would make a wonderful gift 
Difficulty: Quite simple and fast, the recipe only requires one bowl. The most difficult part is bringing the dough together and not trying to make everything perfect. 
Serve With: A hot cup of tea or coffee for breakfast, or tuck into a lunch bag for a morning snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment