Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cookie Cutter Condo

When buying my first place I decided on a condo. Condo life agrees with me - less maintenance, full garage, and most importantly the affordability to do all the other things I love to do (besides sit in my condo). 

What doesn't agree with me is the cookie cutter condo design of each complex. The wonderful historic homes of downtown have so much charm and character - unfortunately my condo looks the same as all 50 others in the complex. From the outside friends have trouble remembering which one is mine.

Excuse me while I daydream about a gorgeous New York Brownstone.


So my spec home lacks any sort of architectural detail, and yes, if you forgot which one was mine and walked through my neighbour`s front door the bare bones would look exactly the same. But to me this is kind of exciting - because I now have the opportunity to make the inside of my home completely unique, quirky, and oh so me. 

If you think about this, turning a run of the mill generic condo into something very non-generic, may be harder than doing so in a home oozing character and architectural elements. To make my condo stand out in a crowd of identical twins I can`t rely on lovely arched entryways, original crown molding, or exposed brick walls. Instead, I have to get creative with paint, furniture, and fabric - a challenge I am fully committed to and oh so excited about! 

Here are some "before" shots of my blank slate - you'll have to stay tuned to see how I make it my own. 







 Enjoy!

Calli


No comments:

Post a Comment