Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Mushroom I Actually Like

If it isn't clear, I'm not a mushroom fan. I'll eat them raw (with dip, if I have to) but cook them and I can't stomach it. I can overlook the fact that they are technically a fungus, and grown in manure, but the slimy texture of cooked mushrooms kicks gets my gag reflex going.

Via an email - This always makes me laugh...
I've come to realize that there are pro-mushroom people in the world and anti-mushroom people in the world. I am proud to say that, although previously in the anti-mushroom group, I can now put a foot in both camps (and ride the fence like the truly indecisive person I am!).

The mushroom that has made me question everything I previously felt for this weird fungi is the mushroom lamp. 

About 10 years ago my mom found a listing for a pair of vintage mushroom lamps in the Buy and Sell. The Buy and Sell is the old-school paper version of craigslist - before everything went online. Like its online equivalent, you never really knew what kind of people you were going to run into when using the Buy and Sell. It also didn't have many pictures so more often than not you weren't exactly sure what you were going to look at when responding to an add. 


The ad for the lamps was a bit 'out there' - which should have been a warning that the seller would be equally eccentric. Being quite young at the time I didn't even want to go look at the lamps (there was probably something better to do with my friends) but my Mom knew better and I reluctantly tagged along on my first ever used furniture adventure. 

Although I was young the trip left an impression... The lady selling the lamps was a classic hoarder (I didn't even know that was a word at the time) and had boxes of stuff piled to the ceiling down both sides of the hall. There was so much stuff I didn't know where to step and I am pretty certain that she was wearing a moo-moo and a lot of really colourful make-up.

I think I was able to pick up both lamps for about $25 (a steal for something you couldn't find in stores and in excellent shape) and they have had a permanent spot in my many different bedrooms ever since.


I love, love, love these lamps! As my first ever used bargain find, any future craigslist or kijiji discoveries have a lot to live up to.

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment