Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Haunted Halloween - Eerie Edibles

I love adorable themed treats and with Halloween only a few days away it's the perfect excuse to bring out the whisk, mixing bowl, and piping bag.

Chilling cake-pops, bloodcurdling brownies, spooky shortbread... all adorable AND delicious! 

Unfortunately baking isn't gracious to the waste-line, so whenever I get the urge to bake I try to have some outliers on standby to "share the love". My brother, his friends, and my co-workers never hesitate to step in - they can make a plate of cookies disappear within minutes.

If you haven't had a lot of success in the past, or consider yourself baking challenged, don't shy away. Sometimes what looks complex isn't that hard and a little practice can go a long way. Halloween also brings a great range of scary candies to the bulk bins of grocery stores everywhere. Gummy worms, fangs, spiders, and bats - simply use them to top cupcakes (homemade or store-bought) and you are sure to impress.

To get the inspiration flowing here are some charming confections...

Low-Fat(!!!) Mummy Cupcakes via skinnytaste

Spider Petits Fours via I am Baker

Not-so-complex sugar cookies via pacific thyme

Science themed cookies via Sarah's Party Perfect

Mutilated Muffins via Pinterest

Monster Cake via Makoodle

Worm Infested Jello via Swanky Table

I'm having trouble deciding which ones to try - and where to start! I'm really loving the mummy cupcakes and black and white spiderweb cookies which would transport to the office really well. I'll make sure to let you know what I try and any pitfalls along the way.

Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment