Monday, November 21, 2011

2011 Room for Color Favorites - East and West

This year there were a lot of really great entries for Apartment Therapy's annual Room for Color Contest (and yes I'm counting myself as one such entry). 

Today I'm going to share some of my favorite rooms from the East and West Categories - Tomorrow I'll post North, South and International. 

Clearly there is a common mid-century modern vibe in my selections but I really can't help myself. Note to next year's entries, throw anything Eames or Teak in there and you've got my vote!

Turtle's "Rodchenko Blue" Room - I love how the deep blue walls make the room feel really warm instead of cramped and dark.  The art over the sofa adds an instant pop of colour which ties into the shelving unit and orange shell chair. 



Mark's "Bold Basics" Room - I didn't vote for Mark room simply because his colour scheme matches that of my favorite hockey team - although it would have been enough. I voted for Mark's room because it is absolutely beautiful. I love the rustic cow hide rug, simple white coffee table, Eames lounge chair, amazing art...  clearly I want to live here. 



Megan's "Woodstock Modern" Room - The architecture of Megan's home captured my attention more than anything else. The large windows and skylight let in oodles of natural light and she made smart decorating decisions as to not block this light or distract from the great views outside. Also, I am in LOVE with that coffee table and I don't care who knows!



Stephanie's "Orange & Turquoise" Room - This entertainment room is almost a bit futuristic, with that bright orange feature wall, but it works well with the paired down furniture and minimal decor. I can't imagine how long long it took to make the wood cutout for the main wall but the attention to detail is impeccable.



Cathy's "Always Sunny in Portland" Room - The art above the sofa caught my attention immediately, it ties the colour scheme together perfectly and I'd love to have it in my own home. The yellow pain is extremely cheerful and the neutral furnishings complement, instead of compete with, the walls.


I've linked the titles back to each original room so you can snoop some more.

Enjoy!
Calli

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words, Calli! It was a fun contest.—Turtle

    ReplyDelete