Monday, June 20, 2011

Some Love for the Solair Chair

A while back, which gushing over Object Orange (my favorite mid-century furniture store), I introduced you to my Solair Chair. 


I had been wanting one of these beauties for quite some time when I pulled up to Object Orange and spotted four sitting out front - they hadn't even made it into the store yet! 

Between my mom and I there was only one left when we pulled away...

For me, Solair Chairs are just another part of summer - along with popsicles, bathing suits, and the smell of sun-tan lotion. They fit perfectly on a patio, around the pool, or at the lake, and everyone seems to have one or two, once your start looking...

Via Pinterest
I remember growing up my grandmother having one as well as our neighbours at the lake. I  always thought they were cool and practical, the plastic is perfect for wet swim-suits, but it turns out these little beauts also have quite the history...

The Solair was designed by Montrealers Fabio Fabiano and Michelange Panzini, in 1972. Riding the wave of design energy coming out of Expo 67, the two newly minted designers were recruited by Industries Provinciales, Saint-Damien (Québec) to rework the concept of a Canadian-designed, comfortable and stylish, modern indoor and outdoor chair. Using new injection moulding plastic technology and steel framing, the chair was designed over the space of one weekend so as to meet a pressing contract deadline. Since 1989, the chair has been in continuous production and distribution by Industries Emile Lachance Ltée.
 
Extensively retailed throughout the 70′s the Solair was marketed across Canada and the eastern seaboard of the United States as far south as Florida. A stalwart in Eaton’s and Sears catalogues; the chair went on to become an iconic fixture of North American roadside motels and pools of the period. Lightweight and extremely comfortable, the Solair, with its simple lines and solid practicality exudes an allure that continues to speak to us about its emblematic place in Canadian culture.

- The Canadian Design Resource, by Kate Eisen and Duncan Farnan

So many colours to choose from!
I've decided to keep my Solair inside - right next it is in my living room. It turned out to be really comfortable and I just couldn't put it somewhere I wouldn't use it everyday. 
Enjoy!
Calli

No comments:

Post a Comment